Saturday, 19 January 2013

'Betrayed', and 'Chosen', by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Title: Betrayed; Chosen
Author: P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Format: Paperback
Genre: Young Adult Vampire
Add this: Goodreads

Yes this is super naughty of me, but I don't like writing reviews of books that I wasn't that keen on, (unless I am in a bad mood and I feel the need to be really scathing in my assessment of its lack of awesome). So, here are two reviews stacked together. The House of Night Series as a whole is, in my opinion, devoid of awesome. My review for the first in the series, Marked, is available here. I did mention before that when I finished Marked, I did go on to read Betrayed, and then Chosen straight away. At the time I wanted to. The Cast family writing duo have an innate talent for ending books with no loose ends tied up, whilst also posing more questions that are most likely not going to be answered. But.... just in case they might be answered, you read on, ever hopeful. Lose all hope now, and give up, and please, I entreat you, go and pick up any other long-running vampire based series of books. I am hearing great things about the Night Huntress books- try them maybe?

So, the things that bug me? Zoey Redbird. Repeatedly. 
This girl's attention span is a faulty compass, swinging wildly between the many boys who like her instead of actually focusing on the clusterfuck of shenanigans going on in the House of Night. House of Night is the wrong name for it. House of Perpetual and Ever Escalating Drama That Totally Overshadows ALL OF THE EVIL PLOTS. I know it doesn't have the same ring to it, but deal with it, I'm ranting here.

Many of the other things that annoy me? Try all the same things as in the first book. The writing, the dialogue, the hypocritical judging of people and what constitutes being a slut and the questionable validity of Zoey's friends as three dimensional characters. These are all covered in my review of Marked, so I won't go back into repetitive details too much. 

Also, as the plot goes on, and you get through the books, the details all start to blur together. The events of each one overlap slightly, bringing in new settings at a mid point in one book, but it being the main location in the next book. When writing this review, I had to wikipedia the plot of these books, just to sort out where each book began and ended. I would like to think that if the series was good enough, the books would stand out individually in my head, rather than the mush that they are presently. It doesn't help that at each stage there are elements of the storyline that are unresolved, and almost forgotten in the main body of the plot, before being re-raised again by Zoey's closing or opening words of "OMG, what the hell is going on in my life? And how will I handle all of these boyfriends?"

Luckily there are some mildly redeeming features; Aphrodite totally comes into her own as reluctant co-conspirator and later begrudging friend- I kind of wish the books were about her instead actually. Ok, she is the only redeeming factor in these two books. The plots would be quite good I suppose if the constant boyfriend drama wasn't constantly in the way. I mean, there are dead humans turning up, and dead but undead vampires, key characters dying, as well as the whole Neferet not being all peaches and cream perfection.  But the constant boyfriend drama IS constantly in the way, and as such... I decree 3.5 stars apiece. And yes, I know that this is the vaguest review I have ever written in terms of plot spoilers... but its all mush.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, it is a total blurry mush! I've given up on the series now, although I think I might have read another one, but I just can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read up to number five I think, and half way through I stopped because I really didn't care any more. Luckily these were all library books, so no money wasted!

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with everything you said. I borrowed these books from a friend forced myself to keep reading but then had to give up, I think they got worse the longer I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, they just keep adding in extra plot points and it loses focus so much that I can't be bothered anymore. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.