Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Bewitching The Werewolf, by Caroline Hanson

Title: Bewitching the Werewolf
Author: Caroline Hanson
Format:  free ebook
Length: short story
Genre: Romance
Add this: Goodreads
Buy this: Ebook

I don't normally read short stories, but when a book starts with...

' "I don't get paid enough to deal with a werewolf that can't get laid."
My boss frowned at me. He was under the mistaken impression that I didn't have enough tact. The truth was, I had no tact.'

Seriously, how could I not read on after that? I freaking love protagonists with no tact and no shame; I want to make friends with them. (For more ballsy protagonists in a supernatural series I recommend Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson, The Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton and The Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh.)

Anyway, the girl with no tact is Megan, a super powerful witch who has been hired to help find a werewolf pack-leader's mate via magical means. And the werewolf in question is Zackary Connor, who is unlike any werewolf she has ever met; he is a well groomed business man, with looks to swoon over, and a body that inspires some unspeakable thoughts that would make any girl blush. This is where the job gets difficult for Megan; she has to find her client's soul mate whilst trying to ignore her own desire for him. Awkward!

I really liked the style of writing that the author used, and the sexual chemistry was handled really well. The characters' connection is portrayed nicely within such a short space, and I wanted to continue reading about them after the end of the story. Hanson could have easily made this into a longer novella or novel, but it works well the length that it is, and that's just my greedy opinion. There were some moments when I might have laughed, out loud, on the tube at Megan's snark and word play (which is quickly becoming a bad habit of mine).


The scene where Megan gets rid of Zack'd headache was the highlight of the book for me , and is definitely a scene to look forward to. But my absolute favourite part is this extract.... "And then he kissed me. Softly, like a friendly, nice-to-meet-you-can-I-strip-your-clothes-off-and-bury-myself-inside-you-kind of kiss."


7.5 stars. And its free, so everyone can (and should) enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.