Friday, 31 August 2012

Goddess of Troy, by P.C. Cast


Title: Goddess of Troy
Author: P. C. Cast
Format: Paperback
Length: 367 Pages
Genre: Fantasy Romance
Add this: Goodreads
Buy this: Paperback |Ebook

This is an old review I found hidden in the depths of my drafts folder. Enjoy.

Another P. C. Cast book to review! Admittedly when I read another of her books, Goddess of the Sea, I was sceptical, and quite critical, but as it got better as it went through, I thought I'd give this series another shot. This book is based upon a myth I'm a little more familiar with- Achilles and the Trojan War.
I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised; so surprised in fact that I have been to the library already to get another book from the series.

But anyway, Goddess of Troy. Hera, Athena and Venus ("Don't call me Aphrodite, Darling") have gotten totally fed up with the Trojan War, and decide that Achilles should be removed from battle (to break the stalemate) which would also fulfill an old promise to Achilles' mummy dearest to try to spare him from his terrible fate- a young death, but fame and glory for all eternity. Complicated Goddess-made plots ensue, combining body switches between princesses and modern independant women from Tulsa, and a lot of greek politics, and sex.

Lots of sex, but written well, steamy and fluster inducing, with a clear distinction between sex based upon trust and mutual feelings etc and nasty, creepy, evil-king-and-his-whore-sex that comes complete with added scheming. I really like this distinction as I hate books where the emotional side of sex isn't considered at all, just the physical. Yay, emotions. Although, Kat's use of hypnotism in sex is a bit... well... not PC.

The women in this book, both mortal and goddesses, especially Kat and Jackie (the protagonists/mortal pawns) are all really strong characters. Jackie, for example, is quite happy to boss around a whole camp full of armed warriors, so that she (a nurse) can treat a random injured guy properly. Kudos.  The entire book is basically a celebration of modern. strong, independent, intelligent and sassy women, who don't take any nonsense. And this is great, but full on, and so does wear a bit thin by the end of the book.

I don't get why the goddesses all refer to Jackie and Kat as 'modern' and Achilles and his buddies as 'ancient', as they themselves are from Achilles' era. Maybe it was to simplify the perspectives, but it just didn't sound right to me. Details matter!! It's almost as bad a continuity errors! *Shivers*

But I think that was the only thing that really bugged me- at least it is the only thing I can think of now. Once you get used to the body switching and two-names per character malarkey, which P. C. Cast seems to do in lots of this series of books, its actually a really nice book to read. The whole celebration of women thing, and the easily recognisable mythology that it is inspired by help to move Goddess of Troy firmly into the realms of easy reading, and well away from the danger zone that is mindless trash. I think I actually really like P. C. Cast's pro-women, yay we rule perspective, and I'll definitely be reading more of her stuff in the future.
7 stars, and an admission to being a total P. C. Cast convert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.